[GPGME] python t-quick-key-manipulation.py fails

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Tue Apr 11 12:21:03 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Tuesday 11 April 2017 12:29:51 Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> How can it be user fault if gnupg formally supports --disable-tofu?
> Tests should succeeded or skipped based on enabled features of gnupg.
> In Gentoo we are trying to support package configuration to allow
> choice of what features to enable, gnupg is included.
> Please skip tests and not fail if a valid supported feature is disabled.

Well you can configure all kinds of stuff in GnuPG or worse, just install some
parts of it (like gpg but no gpg-agent) to create broken setups. So I'm kind
of wondering if GPGME's testsuite is not supposed to fail in cases where the
GnuPG system is missing features. If you decide to live with that breakage /
missing features then you just have to accept that the tests will fail. But
the information that the features are missing is conveyed at build time
instead of users facing Problems at runtime.

For this specific point, disabled tofu, I agree that it truly should be
optional but I'm starting to rethink / question if our approach to make the
tests work against any GnuPG version is the right one or if it would be better
for GPGME's test suite to fail and complain if something will not work with
this GnuPG version. It's more about the problems we had regarding 2.0.x
support for the test suite so maybe that should be a different thread.

E.g. Kleopatra has a selftest to check some basic GnuPG functionality on
startup and if that fails it tells the user what's wrong and why it can't work
with that and bails out. Instead of trying to handle every special
installation that might be conceivable.

Regards,
Andre

--