gpg-agent with OpenSSH on Windows

Gerhard Poul gerhard.poul at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 09:15:13 CEST 2017

Hi,

I've recently started using a Windows notebook at work and wanted to take
this as an opportunity to use gpg-agent because I'm planning to use a
YubiKey as well to sign future git commits.

After reading about Microsoft's OpenSSH Port beta [1] that works from
PowerShell I decided to try using it instead of PuTTY, but the ssh-add was
not able to connect to gpg-agent.

To figure out why I learned more than I wanted to know, but I guess that's
how one usually gets involved in projects ;-)

I opened an issue [2] and it seems that ssh-add has been adapted to use
named pipes on Windows, wheres that is not the mechanism that gpg-agent
currently uses.

If my understanding of what I read over the last days is correct, then
gpg-agent on Windows only works with enable-putty-support, but there is
currently no client that works with enable-ssh-support and the
enable-ssh-support does not currently use named pipes on Windows.

Now I'd like to confirm with you whether my understanding is correct and
whether there are any current plans in regards to using named pipes on
Windows. If the enable-ssh-support is currently not working on Windows with
any client anyway, then that could be ported to use the same mechanism that
[1] uses and no functionality would be harmed.

Is there currently any ongoing work in this direction? Has something like
this already been discussed?

Regards,
Gerhard

[1] https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH/wiki/Project-Status