explanation for phabricator labels "Bug Report" and "Feature Request"?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Aug 9 01:03:30 CEST 2017

On Tue 2017-08-08 21:20:38 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:

> It is not a bug because there are no hard rules on what --quiet does.

I'd considered it a bug because gpg(1) says that --quiet means "Try to
be as quiet as possible", and it clearly wasn't even trying :)

> There is also the priority "Whishlist" which is similar to a Feature
> tag but different in that it is on a list of items we need to decide
> whether to implement.  For example T3323.  I am nort sure whether we
> want this in the GPGME API because it may lead to API bloat and
> GPGME's intention is not to wrap all esoteric gpg features.

OK, i get that wishlist priority means "we might not even get to it,
ever" -- does that make something not a feature request, though?  We
have a user of GnuPG (Robert J. Hansen), who clearly needed the feature
and was avoiding using GPGME because it didn't have it.  I consider that
a feature request (whether we decide to do it or not is a separate
question).

> Some hints: tags ("projects" in Phrabicator parlance) like "gnupg",
> "gpgme", "libgcrypt" specify the relevant component.  "macOS" would tag
> this as a macOS specific bug.  "Need Info" is a flag to mark a report as
> waiting for info form someone else (in most cases the original poster).
>
> "gnupg (gpg22)" puts that gnupg related bug on the workboard.  The
> "gpg22" here indicates a milestone.

cool, thanks for these hints, and the above explanation.  this is super
useful to me.

> @marcus: Do you have other hints?  Can we add a wiki page to describe
> their use, like we did with the help page on roundup?

That would be great!

Regards,

        --dkg