Key generation: is it possible to fail fast?

Justus Winter justus at g10code.com
Mon Feb 20 12:53:25 CET 2017

Bjarni Runar Einarsson <bre at pagekite.net> writes:

> Justus Winter <justus at g10code.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't get the idea across. I meant to say that a
>> frontend like the MUA can communicate that it started a key
>> generation wizard to GnuPG running as a background service.
>
> Thank you for the clarification. However, even this fails badly
> in two ways:
>
> 1) User doesn't complete the form, aborts and then starts over -
> except now the entropy pool has been drained.

No, it would not be wasted.  The entropy would be collected by a
long-running background server.

(Which brings me to an important point: There is no way that we will
ever implement any features you ask for in GnuPG 1.4.  This release is
in deep-maintenance mode and will only ever receive bug fixes.)

Justus