Way to use existing scdaemon

Daurnimator quae at daurnimator.com
Tue Feb 21 03:53:40 CET 2017

On 20 February 2017 at 18:59, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:17, quae at daurnimator.com said:
>
>> I was looking for a way to use an existing scdaemon instance from gpg-agent.
>> Could we make socket_name[1] a command line option?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your question.  scdaemon is managed by
> gpg-agent and started as needed.  You could use scdaemon on your own but
> that is not suggested because it would conflict with gpg-agent's use of
> scdaemon.

I want to be able to run scdaemon as my own user daemon (without
running gpg-agent).
This isn't a problem, except that you can't really run more than one
scdaemon at once.
So if some misc program starts gpg-agent, then gpg-agent starts it's
*own* scdaemon, which doesn't work as intended.due to the first one
already having e.g. my smart card open.
==> I'd like an option to put in my gpg-agent.conf to tell it to try
to find a 'scdaemon --multi-server' socket ready and waiting
somewhere.

> You can use all scdaemon commands via gpg-agent by prefixing the command
> with "SCD ", like this
>
>   $ gpg-connect-agent
>   > scd apdu --atr
>   S CARD-ATR 3BDA11FF81B1FE551F0300318473800180009000E4
>   OK

I'm hoping to not run gpg-agent.