Proposal with patch: Make socket directory host dependent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Nov 17 08:55:07 CET 2017

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 17:31, rainer.perske at uni-muenster.de said:

> Could you please prepend a configurable directory to this list?
> I propose this most simple change:
>
>   static const char * const bases[] = {
>      GNUPG_LOCALSTATEDIR"/run",
>      "/run", "/var/run", NULL};

Thus for building without any options this would be

      "/usr/local/var/run",
      "/run",
      "/var/run"

and for a distro build (--prefix=/) this would be

      "/var/run",
      "/run",
      "/var/run"

so that we need to detect this case to get the order right again.

I assume you are not using a a distro supplied gnupg; in this case a
dedicated configure option for the first socketdir to try would be
easier because it does not break existing usages.  A runtime option
can't be used here, except if we would take the list of socketdirs to
try from a global config files (e.g. /etc/gnupg/socketdirs.list).

Shalom-Salam,