installing gnupg 2.2 as "gpg", vs coexistence with gpg 1.4

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Oct 9 12:38:33 CEST 2017

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 21:48, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> term.  To be clear, means that the following use cases aren't things
> anyone should be doing with gpg 1.4:
>
>  * keyserver or LDAP access

Ack

>  * signature verification

I disagree; this still makes sense on some platforms.

>  * signing data
>  * certifying keys
>  * Web-of-trust identity validation

Ack

>  * asymmetric encryption
>  * symmetric encryption

As long as we have no new encryption format and RSA keys are okay for
the recipient I can see use cases where this is still required.  Of
course that does not mean PGP-2 keys shall be used.

> maybe a deprecate 1.4 could start producing warnings when invoked for
> those operations, if we want to encourage people to move off of it.

Agreed for signature creation and keyserver access.

Shalom-Salam,