Patch for T1644

Rainer Perske rainer.perske at uni-muenster.de
Fri Oct 20 14:05:09 CEST 2017

Hello all

Werner Koch asked me to post it here:

As described in my report T1644, it is possible that multiple
certificates exist with the same Distinguished Name and the same key.
In this case, verifying S/MIME signatures and other actions fail with
"certificate not found: Ambiguous name". For details see the bug
report.

To circumvent the problem, I am patching GnuPG since 2014 so that in
this case the newest of the ambiguous certificates is used.

This is not an ultimate solution of the problem: You should try every
certificate with the same DN until verification succeeds or until all
certificates fail, and if multiple certificates of a chain are
ambiguous you even have to check every combination. You may even
consider checking the keyUsage attributes of the ambiguous certificates
to reduce the number of combinations.

But in the existing case of the certificates in the German Research
Network (DFN) PKI where the newest one is the valid one and all
ambiguous certificates have the same keyUsage attributes, this patch
has proven to be sufficient over the last three years.

With every GnuPG update, I have adapted the patch, luckily I never
needed to change anything except line numbers.

See attachment.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you all for your great work :-)

Best greetings
--
Rainer Perske
System operations dept. and director of the certification authority (WWUCA)

Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität
Zentrum für Informationsverarbeitung
Rainer Perske
Röntgenstraße 7-13
48149 Münster
Germany

phone: +49 251 83-31582
fax: +49 251 83-31555
e-mail: rainer.perske at uni-muenster.de
WWW: https://www.uni-muenster.de/ZIV/Mitarbeiter/RainerPerske.shtml
office: room 006, Röntgenstraße 11
site map: http://wwwuv2.uni-muenster.de/uniplan/?action=spot&gebnr=7474

Certification Authority of the University of Münster (WWUCA):
phone: +49 251 83-31590
fax: +49 251 83-31555
e-mail: ca at uni-muenster.de
WWW: https://www.uni-muenster.de/WWUCA/

Center for Information Processing:
phone: +49 251 83-31600 (Mon-Fri 7:30-17:30)
fax: +49 251 83-31555
e-mail: ziv at uni-muenster.de
WWW: https://www.uni-muenster.de/ZIV/