DCO registry

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Oct 27 08:34:34 CEST 2017

On Tue 2017-10-24 17:33:21 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:

> We currently put the DCOs into the file AUTHORS of each project.  Given
> that we maintain several branches it is not immediately clear where to
> look for a DCO (it is always in master).  Thus I would like to remove
> them from the AUTHORS file and instead keep them only in the gnupg-doc
> repo (where web pages and other doc stuff lives), for example under
> gnupg-doc/misc/DCOs.

this sounds like it would make it even harder to locate a DCO.  if i'm
working on a specific project that is under sane revision control, and i
questions about the contributors and their status, the master branch of
the upstream repo is a natural place to look.  if it goes in the
gnupg-doc repo, then i have to figure out how to find it, clone a new
repo, figure out which branch of *that* repo is relevant, etc.

If you want to keep a synced copy in the gnupg-doc repo i think that's
fine, but i'm not sure what we gain from moving it entirely to gnupg-doc
(and removing it from the master branch).

Why not just put a note in the file on all maintained branches that says
"the current version of this registry of DCOs is on the master branch"?

        --dkg