swdb.lst, gnupg21 and gnupg-2.2.0

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Tue Sep 5 10:38:10 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 10:14:36 AM CEST Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue,  5 Sep 2017 07:17, gnupg-devel at spodhuis.org said:
>
> > I have build scripts creating packages for a couple of OS variants which
> > I care about, using the "latest upstream", and testing the changes to
> > dual-build gnupg21 and gnupg22 I was "somewhat perplexed" at the results
>
> Actually I tried to avoid any possible breakage by keeping gnupg21_ as
> an alias for gnupg22_.  For example the older speedo build scripts used
> gnupg21_ and I expected that other scripts might to it similar.
>
> Here is a comment from swdb/mac, which is the source of swdb.lst:
>
> # temporary keep it as "gnupg21".  In the future we will use the name of
> # the stable branch even for the development versions.

IMO we should declare the swdb.lst as an internal format and request users to
use gpgconf --query-swdb. With adding --homedir you can point it to an
arbitrary directory containing an swdb.lst. This should be the stable
interface and uses the common "with colons" output which is easier to parse
and better to extend. This is also the way GPGME uses this.

> There is also a new "gnupg20_" for the old stable branch with an alias
> of "gnupg_" because that is how we did it in the past.  We will
> eventually remove those aliases.

I think the following aliases would make sense to keep:
gnupg_lts (for an lts branch, currently 2.2)
gnupg (for the latest release, 2.3.0 in the future)
gnupg1 (for gnupg 1.x)

How we call them internally would then be up to us (provided we keep some
compatibility with older gpgconf versions)

Best Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262  | http://www.intevation.de/