card_status - change-request to update allways

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Sep 21 14:23:35 CEST 2017

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:55, gniibe at fsij.org said:

> It seems for me that we can remove this (non-)feature of recording
> serial number in private key file, completely.

One of the reasons to implemented the extended private key format was to
make it easier to add meta data to a private key.  For example several
S/N could be added to the private key file and it would also be easier
to automatically remove them.

Having a way to ask the user to insert a certain card using data which
is permanently associated with the card (printed serial number) is a
very useful feature and cannot, according to my experience, be replaced
by just asking for the key id or such.

Salam-Shalom,