card_status - change-request to update allways

Myonium myonium at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 19:18:35 CEST 2017

> On Sep 21, 2017, at 14:23, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:55, gniibe at fsij.org said:
>
>> It seems for me that we can remove this (non-)feature of recording
>> serial number in private key file, completely.
>
> One of the reasons to implemented the extended private key format was to
> make it easier to add meta data to a private key.  For example several
> S/N could be added to the private key file and it would also be easier
> to automatically remove them.
>
> Having a way to ask the user to insert a certain card using data which
> is permanently associated with the card (printed serial number) is a
> very useful feature and cannot, according to my experience, be replaced
> by just asking for the key id or such.

I think hinting the user which card to insert to for a card based key operation is a great feature I wouldn't like to miss.
There is a good chance that users will have multiple keys on different cards. If none of the attached cards contain a matching key this notice is very welcome.

In this respect the key stub as a memory entry where the private key was last seen, seems to be a good thing for me.
But it is frustrating if you get ask to insert a different card even so a card inserted contains a matching key.
Updating the stubs with „—card-status“ would work for me. An automatic check on all connected cards would be cool … but maybe slow ...