WKD v05: DNS problem when requesting pubkey

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Apr 6 16:21:32 CEST 2018

On Fri,  6 Apr 2018 09:58, bernhard at intevation.de said:

> My suggestion is to remove the SRV record requirement again, because otherwise
> we may exclude a significant number of users. Thus I'm thinking about better,

NACK.  It is there for a reason.

> email provider cannot controll the policy file directly. Okay, so maybe a
> https redirect is easier?

In general this is true.  But as I explained to you on the phone, there
are large mail providers who do not have a legal way to control the web
part but can change the DNS with the exception of the A, AAAA and CNAME
records used for the web service.

> That is another idea, thanks for bringing it up.
> Thinking about it: It would mean that SRV would only work for big providers
> that register this with each Web-Extension. (You don't want to introduce a
> central fixed list, wouldn't you. ;) )

That is how browser stuff works these days - too many things are already
centralized and thus adding another thing does not harm.

Shalom-Salam,

#  Please read:  Daniel Ellsberg - The Doomsday Machine  #