WKD vs VV and VVV

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Apr 25 13:36:46 CEST 2018

Am Mittwoch 25 April 2018 13:17:16 schrieb Vincent Breitmoser:
> > as WKD is not "walkable"
>
> E-Mail addresses are fairly walkable. If you consider a namespace like
> gmail, you'd likely be able to find a lot of valid addresses (and their
> keys) with a simple dictionary attack that combines names and numbers in
> the typical ways they are used in email addresses.

I agree, of course. You can try the email provider's SMTP by use of a
distributed bot-net for each address and you'd certainly find all of them
with overseeable effort.

In more detail, my point is that WKD is not by concept "walkable" like a phone
book or and it is not brute-forceable like a list of hashes on disk.
There are tactics defending against trying all email addresses via wkd, e.g.
you could deliver fake pubkeys for each email-address, block pattern requests
from certain network AS or just delay online requests. In the end this is
nothing a well-funded and equipped attacker couldn't overcome, but still it
raises the costs a little bit which I believe is important to many.
(Otherwise it wouldn't be listed in a number of security goals declarations.)

Regards,
Bernhard