Improving the command line UI of gpg

Andreas Almroth andreas at almroth.com
Tue Jul 31 17:19:06 CEST 2018

> On 27/07/18 00:22, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:29:09AM +0200, Rainer Perske wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> My opinion regarding this request: I completely follow Werner. Don't
> >> extend the core GnuPG tool by adding a second user interface into
> >> the core without urgent need, risiking unnecessary compatibility
> >> issues and even unnecessary security vulnerabilities. If you want
> >> another interface, feel free to write a wrapper, based either on the
> >> existing command line interface or on GPGME.
> >
> > Right ... except not via yet another wrapper to the existing command
> > line binaries.  Use GPGME instead.
>
> If we're going to extol GPGME as the one stop shop for all wrappers,
> then we had better make sure it's feature-complete - which it currently
> is not. I speak as someone who wrote his own wrapper and found that
> invoking the binaries by hand was the only solution... :-(

Do we have a list of the missing features in gpgme (to fully support at
least gpg)? Looking at the TODO file in git as well as the git site at
dev.gnupg.org, I don't really find much that would indicate what needs to
be covered.
If the gpgme approach is the recommended interface for building wrappers,
then perhaps we should at least look at what is missing to make it usable.

Best regards / Med vänlig hälsning / Med venlig hilsen /Cordialement

*Andreas Almroth*