GnuPG 2.2 on elder Debian & Ubuntu distros

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Mar 2 03:57:02 CET 2018

On Thu 2018-03-01 17:06:44 +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> thanks I've tried your packages today on a GNU Stretch system
> and got working Gnupg 2.2.5.

fwiw, if folks want GnuPG 2.2.5 on stretch, that should be a relatively
straightforward series of backports.  we should be able to upload it
directly to stretch-backports, which would not only cover all the
architectures supported by stretch-backports, but also would be much
more straightforward to install for the end user.

this is not the case for debian jessie, which has many more packages in
the OS that *will* break if gpg moves from the 1.4.x version that
shipped in jessie to anything from the "modern" branch.

If folks want a backport of 2.2.5 to stretch specifically, please let me
know.  I'd particularly be happy to guide any interested would-be debian
packager through the steps of creating a backport, and would be willing
to sponsor an upload if it's built sensibly and behaves reasonably.

   --dkg