Python bindings HOWTO proof reader request

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 18 18:07:02 CET 2018

 Dear Ben,
I am the maintainer of the python-gnupg package. This section about it in your HOWTO is, I believe, incorrect: "Unfortunately it has been beset by a number of security issues, most of which stemmed from using unsafe methods of accessing the command line via the subprocess calls."
At one time this was true - the subprocess calls in early versions were made with shell=True and therefore subject to injection attacks. However, this has not been the case for quite some time - subprocess is currently called with shell=False and not (as far as I know) insecure in the way you describe.
You also say "most of which stemmed  from using unsafe methods of accessing the command line" - what were the *other* security issues, and where were they raised / who raised them? Obviously, I want to ensure that python-gnupg has no avoidable security issues, so your feedback would be helpful in achieving this. I would also be grateful if you updated your HOWTO to remove the inaccuracy about python-gnupg.
Regards,
Vinay Sajip-------------------------------------------------------------Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 00:00:49 +1100