org-babel bug and python docs

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue May 15 09:19:42 CEST 2018

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 07:44:44AM +0200, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:

> By the way, since I use org-mode in combination with Jekyll, I leave
> coloring up to Jekyll, like this:

Nice, but the issue here is that we're not the ones who will be
generating the output, more often than not.  For the most part the
output ought to be generated when GPGME is installed by end users and
the generation is for multiple output formats, which is why I haven't
merged the DITA version with master yet since it requires processing
XSLTs to produce the output in whatever format (mostly HTML 5 + CSS
sites or PDF, often via XSL-FO).

So expecting end users to have the DITA-OT installed (it's written in
Java) is a bit of a hard sell.  So is expecting them to have the same
Jeckyll platform you have already configured.  Though that might take
a little less convincing for end users in Linux-land, it's more likely
to go the other way for Windows users.

Now the DITA source could be used to generate that output without the
DITA-OT, but that would require someone re-implementing the standard
in something that's not Java and no one has done it yet.  Well, not to
a complete enough extent to be terribly useful; there have been some
attempts with Python by ... erm, I think it's the XMLMind team, but
I'd need to check.  Whereas the OT is the reference implementation and
is pretty complete.

For those interested, that (OASIS) standard is here:

https://dita.xml.org/

The DITA-OT is here (on GitHub):

https://www.dita-ot.org/

Regards,