GnuPG 2.2 on elder Debian & Ubuntu distros

Phil Pennock gnupg-devel at spodhuis.org
Fri Jan 11 00:04:47 CET 2019

On 2019-01-10 at 09:29 +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Freitag 27 Oktober 2017 18:24:45 schrieb Phil Pennock:
> > Thus at <https://public-packages.pennock.tech/> I have packages
>
> thanks again for those packages, I'll still use them for test sometimes!

Good to know.  :)

> Just missed a gpgme package, to see how gpgme-json does, which is needed to
> couple Mailvelope to GnuPG [1]. ;)

I'm a little reluctant to provide gpgme packages, because (1) I don't
use it myself, so would be unlikely to notice failures, and (2) the
combination of languages and dependencies can explode quite quickly.  Do
you pull in QT as a dependency always, or skip QT?  Node.js?

I recommend just installing gpgme yourself with the required
dependencies for your use-case.  Perhaps work from speedo.mk and build
more packages too, migrating to have everything under your local
control.  My packages are convenient for some use-cases, but I'm also
one person who might get hit by a bus.  They'll get you able to make
progress and move forward with "current GnuPG ecosystem, installed out
of the way of the system, ASAP".

I think that gpgme with the various integration options, considered
across multiple OSes, is a step too far for me to be comfortable trying
to maintain unless and until I have a use-case for my own systems.

-Phil