Launching a new keyserver on keys.openpgp.org!

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jul 9 13:59:09 CEST 2019

Dear Hagrid Team,

Am Mittwoch 12 Juni 2019 18:53:50 schrieb Vincent Breitmoser:
> the Hagrid team is pleased to announce the launch of our new keyserver,
> running at keys.openpgp.org!

[..]
> https://keys.openpgp.org/about/news#2019-06-12-launch
[..]

> Some of the things we do are a bit experimental. For some things we found
> that there is no good mechanism at this point, so we decided to drop them
> for now.

it is good to see more code around OpenPGP.
Maybe hagrid can be useful to improve the common infrastructure to
distribute public keys in the future.

From my point of view the service announcement and its description
is a bit problematic, though:

The choice of keys.openpgp.org let people assume that there is a larger
consensus in the OpenPGP world about hagrid. While from my point of view
some approaches are still controversial.

The announcement and domain name portraits the service as an "OpenPGP
keyserver" while at least with the distribution of pubkeys without user id it
is not in compliance with RFC4880. But he annoumcement makes it sound like
this is a defect with GnuPG. A clearer phrasing would have pointed this out:
GnuPG behaves according to the current standard from which we deviate (for a
reason.)

Hagrid uses an OpenPGP implementation which describes itself as "few to no"
products using it "not a lot of experience with it in the wild". So it is
experimental, just like you write here, but not in the official announcement.

People even further aways may have assumed that hagrid is an offering like the
old keyservers which means carrying third party signatures. The timing of the
announcement here works against hagrid as the attacks of the SKS keyserver
network have recently become public close to the time of the hagrid
announcement. Because being close in timing, people may assume some
correlation. Are you aware of any correlation? (Like you have accellerated
the announcement after you have learned about the attacks.)

Hopefully some of the descriptions can be improved. Though the press has
already picked up on some of the points.

Technically I believe that it is possible to preserve the current idea
of a keyserver to make it privacy aware, but still decentral and
non-validating while still transporting third party signatures and several
keys for an email address. I'll outline this in other emails to gnupg-devel at .

If hagrid could be turned into a more robust replacement for the current
keyserver software, to me it would be a useful addition.

Sincerely,
Bernhard