GSoC project idea

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 19 12:53:35 CET 2019

Hi,

Am Sonntag 17 März 2019 18:13:32 schrieb Dashamir Hoxha:
> However I came up with a proposal for writing just a wrapper to the current
> gpg command, that organizes the commands and options in a different way,
> presumably more easy and intuitive.

to document it, I've just written a reply to one of the threads last year
writing about technical drawbacks and the problems that some perceive with
GSoC.

The main problems I see with the idea:
a) How long and by whom would this wrapper be maintained?
   It is hard enough to maintain the current gpg as it is.
   If the perspective is only up to three years, then we cannot really
   recommand anyone to learn the new interface as it is likely to go away
   after that time and the original gpg will stay. It would be just for
   experimentation.

b) There are many better ideas how to help end to end encryption with GnuPG
   to provide a better user experience. For example implementing automatic
   encryption after a WKD request in more email clients. Writing instructions
   how to set up simple WKD on the server.

> I think this is suitable task for a GSoC project that can be developed in
> 2-3 months by a good student, with help and guidance from mentors.

If it would be clear what each option would do, the implementation time would
be enough, but the assumptions of the current interactive command line
interface and all its bells and whistles are many and interact in a complex
way, so to me it is doubtful that a student can handle this in 3 months.

Best Regards,
Bernhard