Improving product summary in announcement (Re: [Announce] GnuPG 2.2.14 released)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Mar 20 10:28:13 CET 2019

Hello,

first: Congratulations on the new release!

Am Dienstag 19 März 2019 12:28:25 schrieb Werner Koch:
> The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG, GPG) is a complete and free implementation
> of the OpenPGP and S/MIME standards.

Noticed that "S/MIME" also includes the email part,
which I don't think GnuPG fully provides.

Cryptography is complicated enough, so we should try to be as clear as we can.
To suggest something better is hard, some thoughts and ideas:
Mentioning "S/MIME" is good as this is a well known keyword for the open
standard (beside OpenPGP) that GnuPG is used for. While "Cryptographic
Message Syntax (CMS)" would be technical more on a similiar level like
OpenPGP, it is less known and such harder to understand.

What about
"The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG, GPG) provides a complete and free engine
 to implement email and file cryptography by OpenPGP and S/MIME standards."

Or maybe
"The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG, GPG) is a complete and free implementation
 of the OpenPGP and CMS standards needed for OpenPGP/- or S/MIME mails."

or
"The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG, GPG) is a complete and free implementation
 of the OpenPGP and CMS standards. CMS is needed for S/MIME mails."

Best Regards,
Bernhard
ps.: Sendign this to -devel@ because I think it is a concern for people
producing GnuPG.