Improving product summary in announcement (Re: [Announce] GnuPG 2.2.14 released)

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at gnupg.org
Wed Mar 20 16:12:46 CET 2019

Hi,

Thank you for your input. But:

On Wednesday 20 March 2019 10:28:13 CET Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Dienstag 19 März 2019 12:28:25 schrieb Werner Koch:
> > The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG, GPG) is a complete and free implementation
> > of the OpenPGP and S/MIME standards.
>
> Noticed that "S/MIME" also includes the email part,
> which I don't think GnuPG fully provides.
>
> Cryptography is complicated enough, so we should try to be as clear as we
can.

For this reason I _never_ mention CMS in any user visible string. Even x509
Certificates are "S/MIME Certificates". Users do "OpenPGP" or they do "S/MIME"
they have "OpenPGP Keys" or "S/MIME Certificates". I try in my work to reduce
the distinction in the wording between Keys and Certificates.

> What about
> "The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG, GPG) provides a complete and free engine
>  to implement email and file cryptography by OpenPGP and S/MIME standards."

But you say above that you do not want to complicate things?

>  Or maybe
> "The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG, GPG) is a complete and free implementation
>  of the OpenPGP and CMS standards needed for OpenPGP/- or S/MIME mails."

CMS is for developers. In my experience users do not know it and should not be
exposed to it, ever. Personally I've used GnuPG for S/MIME and OpenPGP for
years before I even knew what CMS meant.

Yep it's all not technically correct but we want to provide a good user
experience and that is not helped by adding confusing "technically correct"
terms.

Best Regards,
Andre

--
GnuPG.com - a brand of g10 Code, the GnuPG experts.

g10 Code GmbH, Erkrath/Germany, AG Wuppertal HRB14459
GF Werner Koch, USt-Id DE215605608, www.g10code.com.

GnuPG e.V., Rochusstr. 44, D-40479 Düsseldorf.  VR 11482 Düsseldorf
Vorstand: W.Koch, M.Gollowitzer, A.Heinecke.    Mail: board at gnupg.org
Finanzamt D-Altstadt, St-Nr: 103/5923/1779.   Tel: +49-2104-4938799