Improving product summary in announcement (Re: [Announce] GnuPG 2.2.14 released)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 21 09:31:52 CET 2019

Hi Andre,

Am Mittwoch 20 März 2019 16:12:46 schrieb Andre Heinecke:
> For this reason I _never_ mention CMS in any user visible string. Even x509
> Certificates are "S/MIME Certificates". Users do "OpenPGP" or they do
> "S/MIME" they have "OpenPGP Keys" or "S/MIME Certificates". I try in my
> work to reduce the distinction in the wording between Keys and
> Certificates.

those are different occasions to me.
If users are exposed to name a technical format, it should be named precisely.
For the rare case that a user wants to dig deeper, the structure can shine
through, if it must be seen anway.

To me GnuPG is for technicians, as it is - at the essence - a crypto engine.
So in the GnuPG announcement I believe it is good to show the technical
precision of the product and its crew.

> > What about
> > "The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG, GPG) provides a complete and free engine
> >  to implement email and file cryptography by OpenPGP and S/MIME
> > standards."
>
> But you say above that you do not want to complicate things?

A list of more specific words usually make something easier to understand.
 * "implementation" -> "engine" is more specific towards GnuPG
 * "email" and "file" are also more specific and easier to understand.
In this variant there is no "complete implementation" of S/MIME claimed,
only that GnuPG is an engine for S/MIME, so the mention of S/MIME can
be kept.

> Yep it's all not technically correct but we want to provide a good user
> experience and that is not helped by adding confusing "technically correct"
> terms.

If people read the annoucement's first sentence and want to understand it,
I'll consider it helpful to be correct and clarifying and the same time. My
hope was that the suggested first variant above, which did not add another
term, maybe an improvement.

Best Regards,
Bernhard