[openpgp] Deprecating compression support

ilf ilf at zeromail.org
Sun Mar 24 17:20:58 CET 2019

Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
> Are you suggesting that we change it to:
>     Compression: Uncompressed, ZLIB, BZIP2, ZIP
> or to:
>     Compression: Uncompressed
> ?

There seems to be rough consensus on openpgp at ietf.org to phase out
compression, except for backwards compatibility reasons - so proposal #1
should be fine with everyone.

Proposal #2 is more in line with the original proposal by Justus,
Vincent an Neal - and the counter-arguments were not against changing
the defaults for new keys but having to keep compression in
implementations.

So GnuPG development comunity: Would you be fine in changing the default
for new keys to "Compression: Uncompressed"?

--
ilf

If you upload your address book to "the cloud", I don't want to be in it.