[openpgp] Deprecating compression support

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Mar 26 09:28:19 CET 2019

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 17:20, ilf at zeromail.org said:

> So GnuPG development comunity: Would you be fine in changing the
> default for new keys to "Compression: Uncompressed"?

That is easy to answer: No.

Removing that feature would break major use cases and deployed
infrastructure.  The build in compression support in OpenPGP is actually
a selling point over S/MIME.  This can also not be done with a switch to
a new key or key format because key management is independent from
actual use.  Please remember that OpenPGP is not only used for mail.

As indicated in the WG I am in favor of fading out bzip2 support on the
ground that its introduction was controversial from the eginnging.  Its
presense has been used to try to get xz in, and that the benefits for
plain text compression (e.g. for xml) with bzip2 over zlib is not that
big when considering overall resource use.

Those who do not want to have compression, please specify that in your
keys.  MUA authors may pass "-z0" or GPGME_ENCRYPT_NO_COMPRESS to
disable encryption.

Shalom-Salam,