Seeking advice on debugging Poldi

Franklin, Jason jason.franklin at quoininc.com
Tue Sep 17 15:52:20 CEST 2019

Greetings,

In the past few weeks, I've been working through some issues related to
the boundary between the Debian libpam-poldi package and the KDE screen
locker (the Debian libkscreenlocker5 package).

During this time, I have had some difficulty with debugging, in
particular, libpam-poldi.

My workflow has been as follows:

1. build libpam-poldi with debugging flags using

    export DEB_CFLAGS_MAINT_APPEND = -Og -ggdb -g3
    export DEB_LDFLAGS_MAINT_APPEND = -Og -ggdb -g3

   in the debian/rules file.
2. install the package with dpkg -i ....deb
3. lock the screen, switch to a virtual console and open the code in Vim
4. I then use the debugging plugin to set a deferred/pending breakpoint
   on one of the Poldi functions (e.g., query_user())
5. Switch back to the screen locker and try to unlock the desktop
6. Switch back to virtual console and step through the code

This works pretty well for the screen locker, but the debugger doesn't
perform as expected.  Much of the code is still optimized out, even
though the debugging flags set above appear in the output of "debuild
-us -uc".

Is my workflow reasonable?  For those who work on Poldi, how do you go
about stepping through the code?

--
Jason Franklin