Should Poldi lock the smart card when the screen locks?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Sep 24 15:02:00 CEST 2019

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 12:39, jason.franklin at quoininc.com said:

> My question is simple: What component should be modified to make sure
> the smart card is locked when the screen is locked, thus requiring the

What you need to do is a

  gpgconf --kill scdaemon

or if you want to send the command directly you send

  scd killscd

to the gpg-agent.  This way the scdaemon is terminated and the card
powered down.  The next time a card is requested the gpg-agent will
restart scdameon and in turn it will ask for the PIN.

It would be nicer if we could have scdaemon running as a system
daemon but that is not easy to implement because we need take card of
users who have permissions to use the card reader but are not allowed to
start or re-configure a system daemon.  However, we assume that a
smartcard is used only on single-user-at-a-time box and thus a system
daemon does not give a real advantage.

Shalom-Salam,