Build with --disable-gpg fails

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri May 29 14:08:11 CEST 2020

On Tue, 26 May 2020 21:49, John Scott said:

> I've been trying to build GnuPG 2.2.19 and 2.2.20 today and found that, with
> ./configure --disable-gpg, and with --disable-all-tests in addition

Oh well, I forgot about that option.  I doubt that it makes any sense to
build without gpg becuase gpg is also used by other components
indirectly.  I better remove the --disable-gpg feature.

Is there a special reason why you do this?

> make[4]: *** No rule to make target '../../g10/gpg.exe', needed by 'all-
> local'.  Stop.

Obvious.  The tests require that all programs have been built.
--disable-all-tests is not what one would expect - it is actually the
default.  While preparing a distribution we use --enable-all-tests to
run a bunch or extra tests which don't make much sense for
non-maintainers.

But, right: The --disable-COMPONENT options and the test suite don't
work well together. We should do something about it; see
https://dev.gnupg.org/T4960

> gcc -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -Wpointer-arith -g -O2    ../../g10/gpg.c   -o
> ../../g10/gpg
> ../../g10/gpg.c:22:10: fatal error: config.h: No such file or directory

config.h is a built file; you forgot to run configure.

> I'd also like to inform you that [1] says bug reports should be sent to this
> mailing list, in case that's outdated in light of dev.gnupg.org

That's okay; only a few eyes will see bug reports at dev.gnupg.org; on
the ML you have a good chance that others already know a solution or are
interested in the same problem.  For the development branch it is quite
normal that certain bugs show up and are fixed some time later.

Shalom-Salam,