GnuPG 2.3 Beta

Marco Ricci m at the13thletter.info
Tue Feb 23 10:48:43 CET 2021

Hi.

Thus spoke Werner Koch:
>   * A new experimental key database daemon is provided.  To enable it
>     put "use-keyboxd" into gpg.conf and gpgsm.conf.  Keys are stored in
>     a SQLite database and make key lookup much faster.  [To test this
>     you need to export your public keys to a file, then put the option
>     into gpg.conf and gpgsm.conf and import the keys again.]

Forgive my ignorance, but why exactly do you set up a new daemon for
this? Just based on the description of the feature, I would have rather
expected a shared library to be used for this, well, shared
functionality. Why use a daemon instead? What sort of background work
does the keybox daemon do that necessitates an unattended long-running
background process? At the very least, it seems pretty overkill to me.

Cheers,
Marco