GnuPG 2.3 Beta

Marco Ricci m at the13thletter.info
Thu Feb 25 16:40:48 CET 2021

Greetings.

Another report on Debian/amd64.

I tried a couple of build variations from scratch, using GCC 9.3.0 and
all the latest tarballs from all dependencies (gnupg-2.3.0-beta1598,
libassuan-2.5.4, libgcrypt-1.9.2, libgpg-error-1.41, libksba-1.5.0,
npth-1.6, ntbtls-0.2.0 and sqlite-amalgamation-3340100). All
dependencies were installed per-user, not system-wide, and only in
a common build directory outside of /usr. SQLite 3.27.2 is also
available system-wide. All components were configured with
--with-libgpg-error-prefix=... etc. as applicable. GnuPG was further
configured with --with-capabilities.

  * A normal (dynamically linked) build works just fine, for every
    component. Just like for mlnl.

  * A static build with LDFLAGS=-static works in all components except
    GnuPG itself, where neither the linked in libsqlite3.a nor
    libgpg-error.a can resolve the dlsym and pthread symbols.

  * A normal build with musl-gcc may or may not work; I couldn't
    properly test it due to the ntbtls issue below. I don't have clang
    installed, so no idea about that either.

  * Both the npth and gnupg configure scripts claim to support
    --with-libksba-prefix=DIR. Using that option has no effect. Using
    the option --with-ksba-prefix=DIR instead (i.e. without the "lib"
    prefix) works, and has the desired effect.

  * ntbtls configure claims to support --with-zlib=DIR. Using this has
    no effect; zlib is required to be in the standard location, else the
    build fails.

  * gnupg configure does not support specifying an alternate sqlite3
    location; there is no --with-sqlite3-prefix or similar. My example
    build thus linked against SQLite 3.27 as provided by my system,
    instead of SQLite 3.34 as intended by me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Marco