Update keys.gnupg.net? Re: [Announce] GnuPG 2.2.29 (LTS) released

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Jul 23 19:45:59 CEST 2021

Werner Koch via Gnupg-devel <gnupg-devel at gnupg.org> writes:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 09:47, Ingo Klöcker said:
>
>> Well, `dig keys.gnupg.net`, `nslookup keys.gnupg.net`, and `ping
>> keys.gnupg.net` all agree that there is no DNS entry for keys.gnupg.net.
>
> I removed the CNAMES along with the last 2.2. release and added a TXT
> record:
>
> host -t txt keys.gnupg.net
> keys.gnupg.net descriptive text "GnuPG uses an internal mapping for this name, see dirmngr/server.c."
>
> This internal mapping was a consequence of CNAME and pool problems since 2.1.

Should keys.gnupg.net continue to be used or not?  What is the best
generic recommendation these days?  The announce-gen script in gnulib
[1] still uses '--keyserver keys.gnupg.net', and its output ends up in
many release announcements of GNU projects.  Is there anything better
than that?  Of course, how to locate PGP keys for a single individual
will differ, but it would be nice if there were a best recommended
approach, which is what keys.gnupg.net has been (is?) as far as I can
tell.

/Simon

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/build-aux/announce-gen#n550