Only one pubkey to be delivered by WKD (Re: Update keys.gnupg.net?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jul 28 15:58:23 CEST 2021

Am Mittwoch 28 Juli 2021 12:28:08 schrieb Simon Josefsson via Gnupg-devel:
> It seems like a
> neat thing to have all my keys in there, in case someone wants to verify
> old signatures.  Is this forbidden? As far as I can tell from wks draft
> -12 it is permitted: 'Note that the key may be revoked or expired - it
> is up to the client to handle such conditions.'.

Yes, in my reading it is "forbidden" to have more than one non-revoked pubkey
in a WKD reponse.

Citing from
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-koch-openpgp-webkey-service/12/

   The HTTP GET method MUST return the binary representation of the
   OpenPGP key for the given mail address.  The key needs to carry a
   User ID packet ([RFC4880]) with that mail address.  Note that the key
   may be revoked or expired - it is up to the client to handle such
   conditions.  To ease distribution of revoked keys, a server may
   return revoked keys in addition to a new key.  The keys are returned
   by a single request as concatenated key blocks.

It is singular "the key" and "in addition to a new key".

Additionally ss Werner wrote: it would defy the purpose otherwise. :)

Best Regards,
Bernhard