recommendation for key servers

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jun 29 15:16:13 CEST 2021

Am Freitag 25 Juni 2021 16:00:45 schrieb Andrew Gallagher via Gnupg-devel:
> Synchronising keyservers (SKS and Hockeypuck) are
> decentralised and universal but abuse-prone.

It seems possible to get the abuse-potential of synchronising keyservers unter
control. (While the abuse-potential of central and validating keyservers is
also there, but in a different are.)

I've outlined the concepts how this could be done here:
 Preserving non-central and privacy with a "permission recording keyserver"
    [Reiter 2019-07 a]
 https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2019-July/034399.html

  Preserving third party signatures distribution [Reiter 2019-07 b]
 https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2019-July/034394.html

Overall there has not been enough efforts going into preserving
the decentral network of public keyservers.

> Signature attestations will help tackle many of the abuse (and
> functional limitation) issues, if we can get them standardised

That is a possible puzzle piece of the solution.
(While I am not usre if it depends on standardisation.)

Best Regards,
Bernhard