GnuPG 2.3 Beta

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Mar 16 11:06:16 CET 2021

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 22:06, Nicholas Cole said:

> I know many users of gpg are on single-user systems, but for systems
> with more than one user, does this mean that each user will need to
> start their own daemon, listening on their own ports? Or is there a

These are all per-user daemon.  That is easier for security and
configration reasons.

Back in the 2.0 age we allowed to run the dirmngr as a syustem wide
daemon.  Back then the primary task was to access to LDAP files and
foremost to load and cache CRLs.  So with 100 users on a machine only
one CRL download was required.  However, large multi user installations
are rare and are a permanent problem security wise.  Thus with 2.2 we
dropped this feature and let each user configure the dirmngr to her own
needs.

Salam-Shalom,