GnuPG 2.3 Beta

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 23:06:25 CET 2021

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:26 PM Werner Koch via Gnupg-devel
<gnupg-devel at gnupg.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 10:48, Marco Ricci said:
>
> > Forgive my ignorance, but why exactly do you set up a new daemon for
> > this? Just based on the description of the feature, I would have rather
>
> We use SQLite and transactions are very expensive if more than one
> process is accessing the DB.  So what we do is what all other database
> engines do: run a single process with exclusive access to the DB.  There
> is some overhead due to IPC but overall things are much faster.
>
> The reason why several processes need to access the DB is that there are
> often several gpg processes running and working on the same keyring.
> This needs to be synchronized.  Without the keyboxd we lock the keyring
> and all other gpg and gpgsm processes need to wait until they can
> continue even with a read.  This multi-process serialization slows down
> everything.

I know many users of gpg are on single-user systems, but for systems
with more than one user, does this mean that each user will need to
start their own daemon, listening on their own ports? Or is there a
single process running as a different user?

Sorry to get caught up on one specific aspect.  It's really good to
see the 2.3 branch.