GNU GPL for doc -- Why?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:28:06 +0100

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, IIDA Yosiaki wrote:

> What I really want to say is that it would be better
> applying permission notice than applying GNU GPL to
> documentation.
That is up to the FSF - can't change it.
> Documentation has neither object code nor executable.
> So, the 3rd article of GNU GPL has no sense.
Hmmm, you have to write it using the Docbook language, run Jade or other tools over it, and run a formatter backend. Looks pretty much like the usual way programs are created.
> * Free documentation should also be copied and distributed
> by paper, without machine-readable source. Permission
> notices on manuals published by FSF explicitly grant this
I think that the machine-readable source should accompany every printed version - it is much easier to search for things using a machine. Werner