GNU GPL for doc -- Why?

IIDA Yosiaki iida@ring.gr.jp
21 Feb 2000 22:03:15 +0900

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> writes:

>The GPL is one possible implementation of a copyleft style license.
But not the only.
>Hmm, where is the difference?
Permission notices on other FSF maunals are also implementations of copyleft. They are tailored for documentation.
>Which point of the GPL does make you think it is not appropriate for
>documentation?
Before I answer this question, I should say this: It is up to you, and you have right to dicide whether you cover your documentation with GNU GPL or not. What I really want to say is that it would be better applying permission notice than applying GNU GPL to documentation. Documentation has neither object code nor executable. So, the 3rd article of GNU GPL has no sense. GNU GPL reads: # Activities other than copying, distribution and #modification are not covered by this License; they are #outside its scope. while, * Free documentation should also be copied and distributed by paper, without machine-readable source. Permission notices on manuals published by FSF explicitly grant this act. * Free documentation should also be translated into another natural language. Most of the permission notices on manuals published by FSF grant this act. Technically, I agree that there are no difference between program, data and documentation, from the view of collection of bits. But I see some meaning in that GNU GPL uses the word "Program" and that the manual published by FSF is not covered by GNU GPL. And I also see that the permission notices on those manuals are very well sophisticated. -- iida