License change for the GPH.

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 4 09:10:17 CET 2013

Hi!

it is now a week since my last mail to Richard and I have received no
response on that.  I conclude that the FSF (i.e. Richard Stallman) does
not agree to a license change.  Thus we need to help ourselves.

amk offered to write a new manual from scratch and Mike indicated that
he is willing to terminate his copyright agreement so that he regains
the rights on his parts of the GPH.  I briefly checked the status of the
GPH and at the very least the version included with GnuPG 1.0.0 (1998)
was written by Mike with two smaller contributions.  The ChangeLog shows
that the English version had only minor updates by me and one other
contributor.  The GNU copyright list has specific entries for Mike's
assignment and for the Japanese translator.  However, the GPH is filed
as part of GNUPG and thus it is possible that many more authors worked
on it - I doubt that, though.  Inspection of the old (now offline) CVS
repository should give more clarity.

Given the sad state of the GNU discussion culture and its
not-so-benevolent dictator, I also doubt that the GNU project is the
right place for GnuPG.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner