Japanese and UTF8

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:12:38 +0100

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, IIDA Yosiaki wrote:

> * To assume outside is also UTF-8 and we don't convert at
> all.
That is easy. I simply add a dummy --charset utf8 which does not do any conversion.
> * To assume outside is also UTF-8, but we do convert from/to
> printable ASCII (with technique such as in RFC 2253).
Do you mean to escape all non 7bit characters like "\dd" ? I wonder why the don't suggest to use "\xdd".
> * To assume outside is always fixed charset, say
> ISO-2022-JP (or EUC-JP or whatever).
> * To assume that the charset is specified explicitly.
You know have to do this using the --charset option which defaults to latin-1. Therefore I should use libiconv. There is still one problem: Are there any control characters outside of the 0..127 range? I assume yes and than I need a way to test for them. For security reasons we can't print any data without checking first. Hmmm, the second options seems to be best for this but than you won't see any Japanese characters :-(. I'll better go and read something about libiconv. Werner