New UK crypto law and an idea on how to defeat it

Sean Rima Sean Rima <thecivvie@penguinpowered.com>
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:54:12 +0000

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

Hi Brian!

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999, Brian Galbraith wrote:

> >> My personal view is that such a bill may not happen. But if it does, it
> >> will
> >> be mainly used for Organised Crime and Pedophile and not against the
> >> average person on the street.
>=20
> I live in the UK, and have spoken to a few police officers about this. I
> have been told that the use of encryption leads to suspicion of these very
> things. I have also been told that if I had nothing to hide, I would have
> no interest in encryption.
So do I and I used to work for a police service as a Civilian support worker. So I know what you say is true. The average police man cannot understand nor wishes to understand why the average person would use any form of encryption.