this whole 'docbook-to-man' thing.

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:05:00 +0100

 On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 08:49:18PM -0500
 R. Emory Lundberg wrote:

> whose bright idea was that anyways?
I have decided to use the docbook DTD for all documentation; unfortunately the needed tools are not easy available (although Debian has most of them). The main problems are converting SGML to a man pages and to texinfo. Docbook-to-man is quite an old tool but it works. The problem with the last version was that somehow the timestamps got corrupted (due to rsyncing between my laptop and the desktop?) and there was only the dummy man page (there is no docbook-to-man on my laptop). We will in future replace the old docbook-to-man by a more modern toolkit which is also able to create texinfo files. It works by first converting Docbook to Docbook-XML and the creating the output formats. The advantage is that this toolkit is maintained. It is just due to the usual time constraints. It takes me too long to make a new version just for including the man page. Please take the man page from the FTP servers and copy it to /usr/local/man/man1 or whereever your system expects it. I apologize for all this trouble. Werner -- Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013 Boycott Amazon! - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html