Req: Compiling GPG under Windows NT

JJustice@alignmark.com JJustice@alignmark.com
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 13:18:00 -0400

     I'm trying to compile and install GnuPG (0.9.8) under Windows NT 4.
     I've seen in the NEWS file that this software *ought* to be able to be
     compiled and used under WinNT (or at least that there's a strong hope
     of it), but I'm a little stumped as to how to start.

     My confusion is (at the moment) mainly with trying to figure out how
     to use "configure" to generate a Makefile suitable for Windows NT.  I
     know if I were under Unix that I could just run it, but I don't have a
     bash shell equivalent under NT.  Do I need to go through the steps
     configure would go through by hand, to compile for Windows NT?
     Currently, my intended software to use for compilation is Microsoft
     Visual C++ 6.0 and Microsoft NMake, from a WinNT "DOS Box".

     Is this something where I really need to be using the CygWin tools?  I
     don't currently have them installed, and would prefer not to have to
     install them before I start on GPG if I don't have to.  (OTOH, if this
     is by far the best way or even the only way to get a WinNT suitable
     GPG, then so be it.)

     I've seen the precompiled binary for WinNT of a (slightly older)
     version of GPG.  However, because this is going to be used by the
     company I work at for something mission-critical, I'd rather build
     this myself than take my chances on a precompiled binary I know
     nothing about.

     Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.  I can be reached via
     e-mail at <jjustice@alignmark.com>, and via phone at 703-706-0254
     (east coast USA).  Oh, and I've subscribed myself to the gnupg-users
     list, so you don't need to send me a private CC of any response you
     might make to the list iffn you don't want to.

     Thanks again.  It's appreciated.

     Joseph R. Justice