Verifying GnuPG-signed documents with PGP 5.0i

Werner Koch wk@isil.d.shuttle.de
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:38:10 +0200

nb@thinkcoach.com writes:

> I have tried to verify GnuPG-signed documents with PGP 5.0i,
5.0i is very old and very buggy.
> (the newest available international version of PGP for unix
Hmmm, it is nearly 2 years old.
> - However, when I merely do 'gpg -s' or 'gpg -a -s', then PGP
> dies with signal 11 (segmentation violation).
Did you keep the --force-v3-sigs in your options file?
> since GnuPG claims to be compatible with PGP, it appears to
> me that GnuPG needs some more work in this area also.
Well, it does not claim to be compatible with PGP 5 or whatever but to be an OpenPGP implementaion. PGP 5.x is far away to be in compliance with RFC2440 and 6 has still some problems with OpenPGP. Your message uses compression algorithm 2 which pgp 5 does not understand, if you would have encrypted to someone elses key (created by pgp5.0), gpg would have use algorithm 1 because algo 2 is probably not listed in the recipients compress algo preferences. But if you don't encrypt, gpg uses a default algorithm. Compress algorithm yields better compression rates than 1. You can override this with the option --compress-algo 1 or don't use compression at all (-z 0) -- Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013