gpg on windows

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 12:14:12 +0100

Eugene Cheipesh <eugene@wallstreetnet.com> writes:

> I am trying to use gpg under windows. My first question if of security. In
> the manual it sais that random number generation is not tested under
> windows. I was wondering if I inport a public/private key pair from a linux
> machine (which should have secure algorithms) would that remedy the problem?
importing and exporting is not a problem. But as soon as you use a secret key and especially if you _sign_ a message you have to care about the RNG - a bad RNG may leak out your secret key. I think the Windows RNG is pretty good and not worser than one other security software uses.
> If I encrypt a file to be read only by a curtain user is the whole file
> getting envcrypted using public/private algorithm or does gpg generate a
> symetrik key and just encrypts that and stores it at the begining of the
> file ?
Yes. The performance of symmetric algorithms is by some orders of magnitude higher than the one of public key algorithms. No encryption program uses a public key algorithm to encrypt a bulk data.
> 3) Doubt anyboyd knows but ...
> Is there a way to force windows mail clients to have an outgoing filter? ex:
> OutlookExpress. If not is there any other way to have them work w/ gpg?
I hoe there is a way as I am going to do something like this. AFAIK there is some plugin for PGP
> when I use gpg it displays a msg that I do not have secure memory, what
> exactly does that mean? Is it reffering to swap or what?
See the man page; about the last section. Yes, is refers to paging memory out to disk. You get rid of the warning by putting a "no-secmem-warning" into your ~/.gnupg/options file.
No problem. MS-Windows is not the primary goal but on popular demand (and by getting paid for it) I did this port and will continue to work on it. -- Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013