interoperability with pgp

Michael Roth mroth@nessie.de
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 12:36:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Thomas Bader wrote:

> GnuPG doesn't use the RSA and IDEA algorithms. So you can't use a key
> which is generated from PGP 2.x (PGP 2.x only knows RSA- and IDEA
> keys). PGP 2.x can't use a key from GnuPG, because PGP 2.x doesn't
> knows the algorithms (in this case DSA/EG).
You can use IDEA and RSA modules, but make sure you have valid licences to use these algorithm from the patent holders. With these modules you can decrypt and verify PGP 2.6 encrypted and signed messages without problems. If you would like to encrypt or sign data using GnuPG to decrypt and verify with PGP 2.6, some care must be taken. AFAIK there is somewhere a FAQ for this issue. If not, I could update my older post regarding this issue and repost it. cu Michael