Single Private Key (not secret/public key pair)

J Horacio MG Horacio <homega@ciberia.es>
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:11:41 +0200

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

Hi,

could anyone explain to me, or give me a pointer to info on what
represents as far a GnuPG/public key is concerned the following:

- cipher algorithm
- digest algorithm

Also, according to the FAQ:

  You can 'conventionally' encrypt something by using the option 'gpg
  -c'.  It is encrypted using a passphrase, and does not use public and
  secret keys.  If the person you send the data to knows that passphrase,
  they can decrypt it. This is usually most useful for encrypting things
  to yourself, although you can encrypt things to your own public key in
  the same way.  It should be used for communication with partners you know
  and where it is easy to exchange the passphrases (e.g. with your boy
  friend or your wife).  The advantage is that you can change the passphrase
  from time to time and decrease the risk, that many old messages may be
  decrypted by people who accidently got your passphrase.

but I'd rather generate a private key for data encryption in my system,
with no public key, not for communicating.  Is this possible?  if so,
how?

TIA

--=20
Horacio