Single Private Key (not secret/public key pair)

Frank Tobin ftobin@uiuc.edu
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 04:20:22 -0500 (CDT)

J Horacio MG, at 11:11 on Sat, 4 Sep 1999, wrote:

> but I'd rather generate a private key for data encryption in my system,
> with no public key, not for communicating. Is this possible? if so,
> how?
One doesn't generate to generate a key for these situations; the key (possible mutated with a hash) is simply a passphrase, which gpg should prompt you for when you use the -c flag. Generating keys is only needed for public/private keypairs. -- Frank Tobin "To learn what is good and what is to be www.neverending.org/~ftobin valued, those truths which cannot be shaken or changed." Myst: The Book of Atrus PGPenvelope = GPG and PGP5 + Pine PGP: 4F86 3BBB A816 6F0A 340F www.neverending.org/~ftobin/resources.html 6003 56FF D10A 260C 4FA3