Decrypting programmatically.

Frank Tobin ftobin@uiuc.edu
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:18:54 -0500 (CDT)

jesse.oneill.oine, at 13:24 -0500 on Mon, 10 Apr 2000, wrote:

> passing the "pass phrase" via the command line. I know that other
> versions of PGP have a "-z passphrase" option that will allow you to
> decrypt a file without the interactive passphrase gathering. Is there a
This is not allowed because on pretty much all unixes one can see everyone else's command-line arguments; hence, the passphrase could be seen by any other user on the system. The general way of passing in a passphrase to GnuPG is to do so via a handle specified in the passphrase-fd option; I don't know if you can accomplish this with Java though. There are Perl modules that allow you to accomplish this farily easily, though. -- Frank Tobin http://www.uiuc.edu/~ftobin/ "To learn what is good and what is to be valued, those truths which cannot be shaken or changed." Myst: The Book of Atrus