About Symmetric Ciphers.

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:09:17 +0200

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:

> What does GnuPG use? 256, right?
The OpenPGP WG agreed on 256 Bit. I don't like it but some folks might think this is better for marketing. The probelm that I have with it is that it requires more of those precious random bytes while not giving any extra security - there are so much other parts which actually limit the strength of the encryption (Rubber hose attacks, Weak passphrase, 1024 DSA signatures to bind the key,...) Werner -- Werner Koch OpenPGP key 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH tel +49 211 239577-0 Birkenstr. 12 email wk@openit.de D-40233 Düsseldorf http://www.openit.de